Countdown To The Half
Volunteerism is the heart of the YMCA. Our training programs and races are only successful through the volunteerism of our community.
Thank you for your consideration in joining us in making an impact!
Our race was founded by volunteers, our Evansville Half Marathon Committee is volunteers, and all on course entertainment and water stations are provided by volunteers! Whether you are an individual or a group, we have a place for you. If you are interested, CLICK HERE TO VOLUNTEER.
Opportunities to volunteer:
On RACE DAY:
- Set up/Tear Down – help prior to the start of the race with setting the tone for the hospitality of Evansville or help put our community back better than we found it once participants have cleared the course. These commitments can be arranged through Ashley Cabanaw.
- Traffic Control – This is a three-to-four-hour commitment. Help ensure the safety of the runners while cheering and having a great time.
- Water stations – This is approximately a two-hour commitment. Pass out water to the race participants.
- Finish Line – This is approximately a three-hour commitment. Pass out goodies at the finish, help cut chips off the runners’ shoes, or hand out medals to finishers.
- Entertainment - It is a great way to be seen and to create a great experience and positive vibes for the participants. We (the YMCA) and the participants will truly appreciate your efforts! If your group or club, garage band or cheer squad would like to provide entertainment on the Half Marathon course, please contact our entertainment coordinator Ashley Cabanaw.
- Pace Teams - This is a fun way to stick with a group and target a specific time goal. Pace Team Leaders are experienced marathoners who will encourage participants throughout the race and help them achieve their performance goal. Pace Team Leaders will be at the Expo to answer questions about pace strategy, how to locate them at the start line and to answer general questions about the program. If interested in being a pace team leader, please contact Ashley Cabanaw.
Prior to RACE DAY:
- Goodie Bags/Expo – Help fill goodie bags or work a registration table.
- Training Lead – Theses people are our heroes! You will be seen wearing yellow hats/visors/headbands, asked to speak on the mic, pray, hand out routes, lead pace groups, make our Saturday routes, haul water, serve freeze pops, etc. to make Jump Start and Team 13 possible!